This release also delivers patches and security updates, while maintaining application compatibility and OEM/ISV certifications.
In addition to performance improvements, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 also provides numerous technology updates, including:
- Additional configuration options for advanced storage configurations with improvements in FCoE, Datacenter Bridging and iSCSI offload, which allow networked storage to deliver the quality of service commonly associated with directly connected storage
- Enhancements in virtualization, file systems, scheduler, resource management and high availability
- New technologies that enable smoother enterprise deployments and tighter integration with heterogeneous systems
- A technology preview of Red Hat Enterprise Identity (IPA) services, based on the open source FreeIPA project
- Support for automatic failover for virtual machines and applications using the Red Hat High Availability Add-On
- Integrated developer tools that provide the ability to write, debug, profile and deploy applications without leaving the graphical environment
- Improvements to network traffic processing to leverage multi-processor servers that are getting increasingly common.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 is already established as a performance leader serving both as a virtual machine guest and hypervisor host in SPECvirt benchmarks.
Red Hat and HP recently announced that the combination of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with KVM running on a HP ProLiant BL620c G7 20-core Blade server delivered a record-setting SPECvirt_sc2010 benchmark result.
“Building on our decade-long partnership to optimize Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM platforms, our companies have collaborated closely on the development of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1,” said Jean Staten Healy, director, Cross-IBM Linux and Open Virtualization.
“Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 combined with IBM hardware capabilities offers our customers expanded flexibility, performance and scalability across their bare metal, virtualized and cloud environments. Our collaboration continues to drive innovation and leading results in the industry, » Healy added.